[Gods of Gaming]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Gods of Gaming]

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS

Go down 
+2
Halolamer
0men
6 posters
AuthorMessage
0men
Special Super Secret Spy
Special Super Secret Spy
0men

PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS Empty
PostSubject: PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS   PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 9:38 pm

My ping used to hover around 60 or so, with the occasional lag spike. Within the past couple of days, however, I've noticed that it has shot up to about 120, and does not come down.

I'm using a laptop, wireless internet. I have moved the laptop to get better signal. No change.

I live in Massachusetts, not that far from where the server is, in New Jersey.

I used this website to check the ping
http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=ping&host=69.9.47.104
and got an average of 52, while the Game Info window in Steam gives me a ping of 120+

I am not sure if it is a constant thing, because I believe it was around 60 earlier today. I will post any further developments and information, but I thought I'd put the info I have gathered up to see if there is anything that you guys might be able to think of that might pose a problem.
Back to top Go down
Halolamer
I like rusty spoons.
I like rusty spoons.

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS   PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 10:03 pm

If your rates are not correct for the servers settings it can change your ping, ive been able to have a steady 5-6 ping displayed. i know that it is not a true representation of my computer-server connection, but it is possible for your ping to change as your rates vary.

gl

i got an average of 54.6ms from Texas using that link
Back to top Go down
0men
Special Super Secret Spy
Special Super Secret Spy
0men

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS   PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 11:20 pm

rates are fine, checked em
thanks though

It's gotta be something with Steam or CS or something, since out-of-game my ping is fine, right? But why would it be with certain servers and not all of them?
Back to top Go down
[GoG] Karnage
Special Super Secret Spy
Special Super Secret Spy
[GoG] Karnage

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS   PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 11:26 pm

Omen, my ping is doing exactly the same thing yours is.

Used to be 50-70, now it's about 120.

I think it has to be something with the server. I mean, it doesnt lag me any more, but it's just that server.
Back to top Go down
0men
Special Super Secret Spy
Special Super Secret Spy
0men

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS   PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:16 am

It doesn't lag you any more? What do you mean?

Also, I just connected for a sec and had a normal ping, but with constant spikes (like lagging to the point that the icons that pop up when you buy stuff all re-appear on the side of the screen)

AND

Whenever I tried to play my trademark "FUCK YOU" on HLSS it would lag as soon as I hit the play button.

I wish there was some almighty lag expert that I could just ask. Fuck.
Back to top Go down
[GoG] eXecute
I like rusty spoons.
I like rusty spoons.
[GoG] eXecute

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS   PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 2:38 am

mines always about 52, but the last 3 days its been super high, i had to quit today because i was at like 560, i was like wtf mate. i dont know whats goin on. alsooooo, it usually hits that high AFTER i die, so when im specing it shoots up, idk, haha.
Back to top Go down
Irish_Bhoy
[GoG] Leader
[GoG] Leader
Irish_Bhoy

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS   PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 6:11 am

I'm going to talk to the server provider and see what they think. I was playing yesterday and my ping was a little higher 110 ish and norm its 80ish if I don't run my other programs.

I'll let you know what they say.

FYI I got 51 from that link and I'm a whole world away lol South England
Back to top Go down
http://www.irishness.on.nimp.org
Halolamer
I like rusty spoons.
I like rusty spoons.

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS   PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 8:34 pm

Irish_Bhoy wrote:

FYI I got 51 from that link and I'm a whole world away lol South England

that link does not sound reliable
Back to top Go down
PsychoPirate
Cool Kid
Cool Kid
PsychoPirate

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS   PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 3:26 pm

Dunno if you've fixed it or not, since I've seen you on recently, but....

I've always trusted dslreports for speedtests, usually very reliable.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1

Anyways, have you changed anything with your computer recently? Is it just this server or all servers?

I recently had a similiar problem with lag spikes, but it turned out that it was windows wireless zero config that was fucking up my connection. If you used to use a 3rd party wireless tool and switched to the windows built-in one that could be the problem. WZC scans for new networks constantly which causes a lag spike at least once every few mins.

If that is not it, then I suggest opening up command prompt and pinging the server.

ping -n 20 69.9.47.104

Watch for any unusual spikes in the time.

I live real close to you, and I get an avg of 15ms to the server.
This is not the same as ping ingame, but it will tell you if the problem lies with your isp or is some other issue.
Back to top Go down
0men
Special Super Secret Spy
Special Super Secret Spy
0men

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS   PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 4:37 pm

nah, it's resolved itself somehow, I have no idea how though.

Thanks for the input anyway, I'll probably refer back to this thread next time I invariably have the same problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS   PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PLEASE HELP - PING PROBLEMS
Page 1 of 1