[Gods of Gaming]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Gods of Gaming]

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

tech help for ranger

Go down 
+3
kaos
dAg0d
Ranger Smith
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ranger Smith
[GoG] Founder
[GoG] Founder
Ranger Smith

tech help for ranger Empty
PostSubject: tech help for ranger   tech help for ranger I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 2:03 pm

I have a couple issues i need some help with:

1. Ok, so, my pc has started doing this thing where, when i turn it on, it will begin the startup process and everything will be normal up until right before it's supposed to show the login screen. Instead of the login screen, it'll go to a black screen, without the mouse pointer. It's like it just freezes on this black screen and i have to reboot.

But even when i reboot it still does it, it may take me a few times restarting my computer before it'll finally show the login screen. one day it took me 7 tries before it worked. It seems to do this randomly, as sometimes it will start up perfectly on the first try.

If anybody knows what's causing this and/or how to fix it, please let me know.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. My brother likes to download tv episodes and stuff while i'm playing. this makes my ping shoot up to somewhere between 800-1200 and makes the game unplayable. We are both running off of verizon internet, my desktop goes directly to the router and he uses wireless with his laptop.

Now i was wondering if maybe there is a way through command prompt or anything else to somehow stop or pause his downloads from my desktop, through the network or whatever. Or just anything i can maybe do to his laptop from my desktop to get his attention or hold him hostage in some way.

Before you guys start suggesting that i tell him to gtfo or "make" him stop, you must realize that he is 20 and much much stronger and has taught me most every fighting move i know, even if i were to go at him all gung-ho, he would be able to take me down. So unfortunately actualy fighting him is not an option :\ This must be done digitaly somehow.
Back to top Go down
dAg0d
Full Fledged Loser
Full Fledged Loser

PostSubject: Re: tech help for ranger   tech help for ranger I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 3:36 pm

for ur 2nd problem.
theres 2 ways to slow his internet connection. u can either mess with the router settings and make it 802.11b instead of g, or u can go on his computer, go to the wireless wireless network connection properties in network connections click on configure to configure the actual device, click on the advanced tab then click on transmit rate and set the number to whichever u want lol.
Back to top Go down
kaos
Cool Kid
Cool Kid
kaos

PostSubject: Re: tech help for ranger   tech help for ranger I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 3:39 pm

well for problem number 2 .. since your using the wired connection you could always disable the wireless broadcast, making him not able to use the internet at all lol .. im not sure about problem 1 though.
Back to top Go down
Ranger Smith
[GoG] Founder
[GoG] Founder
Ranger Smith

PostSubject: Re: tech help for ranger   tech help for ranger I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 10:26 pm

well i know i can disable the wireless connection, but he'd know what i did and would just come fix it. I need something that he wouldn't know about, something not obvious, he's not very bright with computers at all, but he knows when i've unplugged the wireless network.

and i can get on his computer, he leaves it unattended all the time when he goes to work and stuff, but i don't want to do anything permanently to his laptop, just when i come home and he's downloading 2 episodes of one tree hill and a song, i'd like to be able to temperarily do something to let him know he can't get away with being an such an asshole.

wouldn't be such a problem if he just downloaded them over night while he sleeps, considering they take anywhere from 3-7 hours each to download.
Back to top Go down
bizzy
Forum Troll
Forum Troll

PostSubject: Re: tech help for ranger   tech help for ranger I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 7:58 am

who pays for the internet?
Back to top Go down
Bong Hits For Jesus
Im the real Slim Shadey.
Im the real Slim Shadey.
Bong Hits For Jesus

PostSubject: Re: tech help for ranger   tech help for ranger I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 12:27 pm

One Tree Hill? lol!
Back to top Go down
Blues
Blues

PostSubject: Re: tech help for ranger   tech help for ranger I_icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 1:20 pm

Problem 1: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314503

Problem 2:

Solution 1: http://www.netlimiter.com/ - You'll need to pirate a copy if you want to use it permanently. If you need a real copy let me know and I'll get one for you.

Solution 2:
A more "crude" but effective way to control File Download Bandwidth can be achieved by “sabotaging” the TCP RWIN (Receiving Window).

You can play with the setting to find a spot that yields low Download, and still maintains decent Surfing Experience. (Probably around 20KB/sec. Download.).

To try adjusting RWIN download this free program: DrTCP

Run the program. It will show the current settings of TCP/IP parameters. Write them down.
You can change any variable that you want, click Apply, and reboot the computer, if no good; you can always change to your original values.

Start with:

MaxMTU - For DSL - 1492 . For Cable - 1500 . For ISDN - 1322 . For DialUp - 576

Tcp RWIN - 256960 <-- To be clear, make this value smaller to make his stable dl rate lower. Try something like 50000 to start with, download something, see how fast it peaks at, adjust as necessary. If the internet is noticeably slower, you might want to increase.

Window Scaling - Yes

Time Stamping - No

Selective Acks - Yes

Path MTU Discovery - Yes.

Black Hole - NO

Max Duplicate - 2

TTL - 64

Measure the down load under this condition, and start to reduce the RWIN (you must reboot after each change) and try the download "speed".

Last edited by Blues on Sat May 17, 2008 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bong Hits For Jesus
Im the real Slim Shadey.
Im the real Slim Shadey.
Bong Hits For Jesus

PostSubject: Re: tech help for ranger   tech help for ranger I_icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 6:32 pm

its like hes trying to speak to me i know it
Back to top Go down
T R A N C E
Homicidal Maniac
Homicidal Maniac
T R A N C E

PostSubject: Re: tech help for ranger   tech help for ranger I_icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 6:31 pm

Finding Nemo lol hahaha
Back to top Go down
Ranger Smith
[GoG] Founder
[GoG] Founder
Ranger Smith

PostSubject: Re: tech help for ranger   tech help for ranger I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 1:51 pm

thanks blue, i'll look into this and if you could get in ventrilo at some point and walk me through some of this stuff that'd help alot Smile
Back to top Go down
Blues
Blues

PostSubject: Re: tech help for ranger   tech help for ranger I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 7:55 pm

My mic is out of commission atm, so I can't help you through vent, but if you have any problems, send me a PM and I'll walk you through it. You can also message me on any of the main IM services. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ranger Smith
[GoG] Founder
[GoG] Founder
Ranger Smith

PostSubject: Re: tech help for ranger   tech help for ranger I_icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 2:22 pm

roger

by the way, your Zero sig makes me horny Smile
Back to top Go down
Blues
Blues

PostSubject: Re: tech help for ranger   tech help for ranger I_icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 5:45 pm

Lol, which one? There's like 5 Zero sigs on that rotation. Surprised

Also, have things worked out for you, or are you still in need of some help?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tech help for ranger   tech help for ranger I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tech help for ranger
Page 1 of 1